Monday, May 5, 2008

Angelo's soliloquy of Act 2.4.1-7 of "Measure for Measure."

Joey Henry

English 142b: Discussion 1H/ TA: Amanda Waldo

Monday, May 05, 2008

“When I would pray and think, I think and pray

To several subjects. Heaven hath my empty words,

Whilst my invention, hearing not my tongue,

Anchors on Isabel: Heaven in my mouth,

As if I did but only chew His name,

And in my heart the strong and swelling evil

Of my conception”

This quotation is an extraction from Angelo’s soliloquy from Act 2.4 1-7 of William Shakespeare’s play, “Measure for Measure.” Professor Cunningham, I believe, discussed this passage on the second day of lecture covering this play. Angelo’s language stresses the play’s thematic importance of the ineffectiveness of words. For example, Angelo says: “Heaven in my mouth, / As if I did but only chew His name,” and this quotation shows Angelo’s utter frustration of Isabella’s lack of words & vagueness of intent of her speech. Angelo and Isabella in 2.2, engage in a lengthy and tense conversation in regards to liberating Claudio from Angelo’s proposed death-sentence. Here, Angelo mentions God, or Heaven, (line 4) to articulate to a large extent the dichotomy between language & meaning. In particular, Angelo is referring specifically to his frustrating conversation between himself and Isabella two scenes prior. While this passage is admittedly a little difficult to decipher, I am assuming that Shakespeare with Angelo’s opening monologue in 2.4 wants to demonstrate the play’s power of language in terms of its ability to persuade or mislead particular characters.

Both of the male characters, Angelo & Lucio, conversing with Isabella in 2.2 acknowledge on different terms of how Isabella’s sexuality potentially can be exploited to persuade others. For example, Lucio occasionally interrupts the conversation of 2.2 & indirectly focuses on Isabella’s femininity to Angelo as a possible means of persuasion. Angelo, on the other hand, remains unclear about Isabella’s true intention behind her words, & subsequently brings up the possibility of sexual intercourse with her as an equal exchange for the liberation of her brother, Claudio. Both confused, Isabella & Angelo cannot negotiate a deal, & subsequently in 2.4.1-7, Angelo’s opening soliloquy, mentioning God with Heaven emptying his words, & Heaven in his mouth, expresses his utter confusion and frustration with Isabella’s speech.

No comments: