Monday, May 5, 2008

Iago's duplicity in Act I, scene i, line 64 of Othello: "I am not what I am."

"Were I the Moor, I would not be Iago.
In following him, I follow but myself.
Heaven is my judge, not I for love and duty,
But seeming so, for my peculiar end,
For when my outward action doth demonstrate
The native act and figure of my heart
In complement extern, 'tis not long after
But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve
For daws to peck at.  I am not what I am." (I, i, 64)

Here, Iago says that he serves Othello for himself, and that all masters are not honest or worthy, thereby granting himself the capacity to be dishonest.  He keeps himself attending on himself; though he is in service, he is all about what he can take from service, not what he can give.  There is a repetition of "the self," and he uses his words (ie. "heaven is my judge") as a means to an ends--an empty rhetoric because he is not committed to such a mode of ethics or morals.  Iago's facade asserts that he follows Othello for love and duty, yet this passage claims Iago's true agenda.  This speech calls attention to role-playing in metadrama, thus calling attention to itself as fiction, a kind of performativity of identity.

1 comment:

English 142B - Shakespeare: Later Plays said...

Posted by Britta Grayman (Discussion 1H)