Monday, May 5, 2008

Mary Sarkisyan: Discussion Thursday 1:00, Wang

"Good my lord, you have begot me, bred me, loved me. I return those duties back as are right fit, obey you, love you, and most honor you. Why have my sisters husbands if they love you all? Haply, when I shall wed, that lord whose hand must take my plight shall carry half my love with him, half my care and duty. Sure i shall never marry like my sisters, [To love my father all.]"
ACT 1.1 Lines 96-101
Here Cordelia makes an excellent point, and i belive the most honest one. Both of the oher sisters gave the conventional answer to their father and told Lear what he wanted ot hear. But Cordelia refused to make such a speech becuase she felt that her fathers question was illogical considering a woman is supposed to place her huband before everything and everyone else. Cordelia refuses to copy here sisters empty words becuase the sense behind them loving their father more than anything contradicts the fact that they are bethrothed and about to be married. Lear seems to be pushing his pride here and he wants the submission and complete love and respect oh his three daughters. In repsect to the men in these three ladies' lives i would agree that Cordelia is the most noble and honorable one. If the other two men knew that the two sisters love their father more than them they would not be very happy about it. Therefore Cordelia refutes her hgusband by repeating what she has been taught and knows is right...that they man is the head of the woman and that women must repect, love and honor their own husbands, even more so than their father.

No comments: